History

1947 – Due to increasing demands on the evaluation of the quality of new products, foundation of the Department of Biological Control of the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Works Inc.

1950 – The Chemical and Pharmaceutical Works established the Research Institute for Pharmacy. Its Department of Experimental Medicine can be considered the actual germ of the present Institute of Experimental Pharmacology of SASc. The Department performed descriptive pharmacological analyses of broad spectra of new substances (e.g. follicular hormone, bee-venom, intravenous preparation of iron) as well as routine assessments of the toxicity of some biologically active substances.

1951 – Due to lack of healthy and standardised animals for experiments, foundation of the Research Breeding Centre at Dobrá Voda near Trnava, supplying experimental animals to institutes of SASc, universities and institutes of the Ministries of Health, Agriculture and Industry.

1951- The Institute was incorporated into the Research Institute of Pharmacy and Biochemistry in Prague. Research activities focussed mainly on alkaloids, hormones, purine derivatives, optically active ephedrine and compounds derived from antimony for veterinary purposes.

January 1, 1953 – the Institute was incorporated into the newly established Slovak Academy of Sciences within the Institute of Chemical Technology of Organic Compounds, industrial projects were completed and research work was gradually oriented to basic science. Hypotensive alkaloids and cardioactive glycosides of wild-growing plants in Slovakia were isolated and studied (of the cardioglycosides, convallatoxine and convallatoxol (from Convallaria majalis L.), helveticoside and helveticosol (from Erysimum canescens Roth), hellebrine and desglucohellebrine (from Helleborus purpurascens W. et K.), desglucousarine, syrioside and syriobioside (from Asclepias syriaca L.) and of the hypotensive substances alkaloids isolated from Veratrum album subsp. lobelianum Bernh. Suessenuth were studied.

1963 – the Central Laboratory of Pharmacology of the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (CsASc) in Prague and the Department of Pharmacology of Natural Substances of the Institute of Chemistry of SASc in Bratislava including its Research Breeding Laboratory at Dobrá Voda merged to establish, the Institute of Pharmacology of CsASc with Departments in Prague and Bratislava. Main interests: mechanism of action of different endogenous and synthesised substances (e.g. angiotensin, 6-azapyrimidines) on synaptic transmission in the peripheral and central nervous system, peripheral and coronary blood-vessels and myocardial contractility; side effects of antituberculotics (e.g. thiacetazone degradation products); the effects of phylogenetic and ontogenetic factors, environmental and biometeorological conditions on drug action in different animal species.

1969 – the Slovak Departments of the Pharmacological Institute of the CsASc became independent – the Institute of Experimental Pharmacology & Toxicology of SASc was created. Main interests: receptor specificity and the mechanism of action of alpha- and beta- adrenoceptor blocking drugs; the studies of inhibitory and excitatory modulation of synaptic transmission by biogenic amines, theophylline, 5-hydroxytryptamine and the polyene antibiotic cyanein; elucidation of the mechanism of action of papaverine in the therapy of some neurosomatic diseases; pharmacokinetics of pyrazolidine and xanthine derivatives and beta-adrenoceptor blockers; the relationship between chemical structure and specific mechanism of action of adrenergic receptor antagonists and carbanilate local anaesthetics. On studying the mechanism of action of carbidine, a new neurotropic drug, its membrane stabilising, alpha-adrenergic receptor-blocking and antihypoxic properties were demonstrated.